National monument since March 22, 1938, there were several adversities that reigned in the history of the Castle of Chaves. From what remains of it, just the keep stands as living history of troubled times of Christian Reconquista and of royal dowry to solve several political problems between Portuguese and Spanish.
With the elevation to town status, acclaiming Chaves as a population, economic and strategic core in the defence line of the Portuguese borders, urged the necessity of rebuilding the castle and Keep in course of the reign of King Dinis.
In the exterior, was built a garden where some pieces of the Museum of the Flaviense Region are exposed. The garden is bordered by walls built during the fortification of the town, by the time of the Restoration War. From the site we have excellent overview of the entire valley of Chaves. The Keep is currently adapted to receive the Military Museum, existing since 1978.
The story goes that, during Roman domain, the legions, after their military incursions, delighted themselves in the hot waters of the town Aquae Flaviae, retrieving forces, treating the various aliments that struck them.
The hot waters of Chaves hava an ancient trasition in healing Musculoskeletal, digestive and respiratory ailments and taking advantage from the medicinal properties for prevention and cure of contemporary ailments (stress, fatigue, anxiety) is available to everyone in the SPA OF CHAVES - O SPA DO IMPERADOR
The Camões Square, one of the highest points of the historic centre, is the cities noble space were rises the buildings of the Town Hall and the Palace of the Dukes of Braganza, an equestrian statue of King Afonso, Duke of Braganza, completed by the Matriz Church and Misericórdia and the chapel of Nossa Senhora do Loreto.
Dating: XVI Century
Among the structures erected at the time includes the pillory, utmost symbol of judicial independence, although he had been dismounted in 1870, to be rebuilt in 1910, precedin new displacement and replacement, as has happened with several examples in the country, originating small restoration interventions, Its mais feature is the helm, where coexists an inverted truncated pyramis drawn in its surface, one of them supporting armorial bearings, topped by small columns twisted in the corners and a fifth, at the centre, to support the armilary sphere.
Dating: XIX Century
Originally, this mansion had belonged to António de Souza Pereira Coutinho, marjorat of Vilar de Perdizes, noble heir of Domingos Mendes Dias. In 1857, the then Mayor, Francisco de Barros Teixeira Homem proposed the purchase of the mansion, the most beautiful in the city, to house the municipal services. At the city council meeting of February 8, 1861 was approved the purchase of the property for 2.6 million réis, being president of the autarchy Augusto César de Morais Campilho. Currently serves as headquarters to the Town Hall of Chaves.
Dating: XV Century
The building where the Museum of the Flaviense Region is currently installed is part of a monumental complex, the most emblematic that comprehends the historic centre of Chaves.
Called Palace of the Duke of Braganza; honouring the memory of D. Afonso, illegitimate son of King João I, who married with Dª Brites daughter of Constable D. Nuno Alvares Pereira, after their marriage chose the town of Chaves to settle down. D. Afonso had built near the castle his palace, whose construction will have begun in 1410 and completed in 1446. There note been a residence worthy of a nobleman, but a small hostel, although this is not known primitive plant construction or design, knowing that the counts there felt good because this earth were born three children.
There is more certainty regarding the more recent history of the building. It is known that in 1739 the Governor of the Province of Weapons of Trás-os-Montes, General Francisco da Veiga Cabral, built a building whose facade turns to the current Praça de Camões. The purpose of its construction seems to have been there to install the Home Guard barracks and military prison. It is these functions that the military building, result from the combination of different buildings of different ages, with additions and changes, possibly supplanting the remains of the ancient palace, will reach the current monumental size, with a wide gate, topped by laborious and artistic weapons real stone.
It is organized in 10 sections devoted, in particular, to pre-Roman metalwork, Bronze Age statuary and remains from prehistory to the proto-history. Among the pieces of Roman origin has particular interest the Aras (altars) and the Monument to the People, a stone with an inscription discovered in 1980 in the river channel. A replica of this monument is located in the Trajan Bridge. The museum also has a section devoted to modern art; in Nadir Afonso room are exhibited several works by this local artist, a reference of contemporary painting. More information
In 1647 there existed the Royal Hospital for soldiers and officers of Infantry and Cavalry Regiments of the garrison of the Chaves, and was directed by friars of the Order of St. John of Malta. Has worked around the 'Class of Surgery and Anatomy of Chaves, one the Portuguese Surgery schools operating in the reign of D. Mary I.
Between 1720 and 1721, D. John V ordered the construction of the church attached, whose royal arms are exhibited on the gable, having the works been extended for several years.
In 1834, after the extinction of the religious orders and the friars left the cult, the church was desecrated several times.
By middle XX century, underwent several restoration work, giving it new life.
In its soil are buried the brothers Rui and Garcia Lopes, cavaliers who definitely conquered Chaves from the Moors in 1160.
On one of its walls (East), on top of a excavated niche, lies one of the oldest Portuguese sculptures, the patron Saint Mary Major.
The inside, although the cinquecentist remodelling, retains a certain primitivism undoubtedly conferred by the harshness of the stone. With ceiling in chestnut, has three aisles of five bays divided by four cylindrical columns, where lies the round arches.
Dating: XII Century
The Matriz Church of Chaves, dedicated to Saint Mary Major, dated back to medieval times, would suffer great changes in the sixteenth century, under the influence of Renaissance aesthetics.
Dating: XVII Century
Located in Camões Square, heart of the historic centre of Chaves, the Misericórdia Church is a remarkable building. The installation of the Misericórdia in Chaves only occurred after 1580. However, its church was only built in the second half of the seventeenth century, and is marked by an exuberant and harmonious baroque aesthetic.
The church body is a single nave, with its walls valued with eighteenth century tile flooring, designing architectures reproducing episodes from the Old and New Testament.
The church ceiling is painted with a representation of the Visitation Scene, composition performed in 1743 by the painter Jerónimo da Rocha Braga.
The chancel exposes a grand golden altarpiece, baroque composition of the eighteenth century, while the sacristy contains some quality paintings, including seventeenth century board allusive to Purgatory.
Fort with military architecture, 17th century, Vauban type, double defensive line and interior moat, with a star configuration similar to the Forte de São Francisco, built during the Wars of Restoration.
Apart from the magnificence of its volumetry, it is noted for the delicacy of some of its elements, as the portal with heraldic arms, with inscription alluding to its construction, the fountain implanted in the interior pit, along the southeast bastion, with open sides by arches on pillars, and the Mannerist chapel of Nossa Senhora das Brotas built inside.
Dating: 17th century
The Foundation of the chapel is dated in 1696, by the Abbot of Montfort, John de Prada, which established the respective majorat, and in where were deposited the relics of St. Boniface Martyr. Religious architecture, mannerist, the Chapel has a simple longitudinal plant and high choir. Main façade with pillar corners, top gable and ripped by portal with straight lintel surmounted by gable with a small eye-window. A bell tower existed. Cover in false barrel vault decked in painted panelled ceiling and golden carving alter piece, national baroque-style.
The plant decoration which runs alongside the portal is an excellent stonecutter job, copying carving patterns. The cornices of the north and south façades reveal, between the corners of the main façade and pilaster implanted in the final third of their vestments, a small formal difference with the other cornice that runs through these walls, indicating an alteration of the chapel’s previous façade, in an undefined time.
In the vestry’s doorway, has an interesting painted donation box. The vestry has a good build basin, full-arched, shell shaped, stressed above by enhanced cornice, with inscribed tap with fleur-de-lis theme and striated circular sink.
Dating: 18th century
Chapel’s main façade presents counter curve gable, with portal, windows and eye-window involved by plant decoration, with a geometric-cut.
The open crown over the eye-window matches the same decorative motif that tops the frame of windows, although they are more stylized.
In the Middle Ages the town of Chaves was surrounded by insurmountable walls. Inside, the population housed in small homes, multi-storey and the streets were mostly narrow, as exemplified by the Direita Street. In these roads what stands out are the buildings façades and windows, the diversity of its lines and the wooden balconies painted with bright colours, often adorned with vases of flowers.
Worthy of a closer look, the General Silveira Square, locally known as Nuns Square, and Arrabalde, where in the future will appear a thermal museum, based on remains of the ancient Roman bathhouses discovered here.
In this medieval area are located two remarkable medieval churches: the Matriz Church or St. Mary Maior and the Church of Mercy, besides other points of interest like the Museum of the Flaviense Region, the Military Museum, the Palace of the Dukes of Braganza, the Town Hall, the Pillory of Chaves and Camões Square.
PLACES TO VISIT
>> BAIRRO MEDIEVAL
>> CAPELA DE NOSSA SENHORA DA LAPA
>> CAPELA DE NOSSA SENHORA DO LORETO
PT | EN
>> FORTE DE SÃO NEUTEL
>> IGREJA DA MISERICÓRDIA DE CHAVES
>> IGREJA DE SANTA MARIA MAIOR / MATRIZ
>> IGREJA DE SÃO JOÃO DE DEUS
>> MUSEU DA REGIÃO FLAVIENSE
>> MUSEU MILITAR
>> PAÇO DOS DUQUES DE BRAGANÇA
>> PAÇOS DO CONCELHO
>> PELOURINHO DE CHAVES
>> PONTE ROMANA DE TRAJANO
>> PRAÇA DE CAMÕES
>> TERMAS DE CHAVES
>> TORRE DE MENAGEM DO CASTELO DE CHAVES